InDesign Bootcamp Training Course
This bootcamp you will take you from an InDesign beginner to expert. You will complete a series of Real World publishing projects including an advertisement, a magazine, a corporate brochure, a book, a restaurant menu, a travel guide and more.
Our instructors will lead you step-by-step through each project, teaching the correct workflow, how to master each tool and useful shortcuts to speed up your production. You will leave the course fully competent and able to use InDesign in a professional design environment.
Live face-to-face instructor. No minimum class size - all classes guaranteed to run!
No prior experience of InDesign is needed. Training available on Mac and PC.
View our full range of Adobe InDesign courses.
5 Days | $1695.00
Detailed course outline
- Letter Creation
This lesson will introduce you to the basics of creating a document, drawing text boxes, and formatting text.
- Setting Preferences and Default Measurements
- Creating the Letter
- Text Frames
- Basic Text Attributes
- Basic Keyboard Shortcuts
- Saving and Printing
- Large Type Letter
- More Text Attributes
- Text Styling
This lesson will teach you strokes, caps, how to make proper fractions, and other professional typesetting techniques.
- Position Text with Baseline Shift
- Small Caps for your Titles
- Using the Line Tool
- Making Proper Fractions
- Magazine Ad
In this exercise, you will create an entire magazine ad, pulling in a photo, graphic logo,and laying out text.
- Setting Up a Document Bleed
- Adding the Headline
- Placing Images
- Combining Text and Images
- White Type on a Black Background
- Page Layout and Advanced Formatting
In this lesson, you will learn the basics of page layouts along with more text manipulation. You will master paragraph spacing, leading, and use tabs to complete the layout.
- Page Setup and Orientation
- Using the Rectangle Frame Tool
- Paragraph Spacing
- Control Leading in Character Options
- Using Tabs
- Professional Typesetting Techniques
Moving onto the techniques only the pro's know, you will learn the finer points of hanging bullets, bulleted lists, new line, column break characters and the hypen.
- Bulleted Lists
- Hanging Bullets and Check Marks
- Adding Hyphenation
- Discretionary Hyphens
- Adding Line Characters (Forced Line Breaking)
- Adding Column Character (Column Break)
- Adding Kerning and Tracking
Proper kerning and tracking are some of the finer elements of a well-typeset design. In this exercise you will track and kern the headlines to give the title a finished look.
- Optical vs. Metric Kerning
- Kerning vs. Tracking
- Manual Kerning
- Page Magazine Ad
2-page spreads can be a little tricky to create, but we make it easy for you in this exercise. You will learn how to create facing pages and handle page numbering.
- Setting up the Document as a 2-Page Spread
- Facing Pages
- Placing a Picture
- Creating a Cover
- Setting the Tagline
- Color Swatches
- Defining Colors
- Printing as a Spread
- Designing a Brochure
In this exercise, you will create a hotel brochure. We'll show you how to place multiple graphic, link text from one page to another, set text wrap, and how to handle bleed and strokes.
- Placing Text, Photos, & Illustrations
- Gradient Swatches
- Drop Shadows
- Text Wrap
- Drawing Bézier Curves
In this lesson we will show you how to draw Bézier Curves. Knowing how to draw them will allow you to draw paths to place text on, make interesting shaped graphic boxes, and much more.
- Mastering the Pen Tool
- Segments, Anchor Points, Curves
- Multiple Column Ad with Text Wrap
This lesson will tech you the often misunderstood but immensely important baseline grid. Plus we will show you some new text wrap options.
- Multiple Text Columns
- Importing the Text
- Creating the Drop Cap & Other Type Changes
- Setting the Baseline Grid
- "Massaging" Text to Fit
- Text Wrap
- Magazine Cover
In this exercise we will show how make a model's face appear in front of a logo and how to use the Type on a Path tool.
- Importing the Graphics & Text
- Placing Transparent Art
- Styling the Type
- Defining & Using Color Swatches
- Bringing the Face in front of the Logo
- Type on a Path
- Style Sheets in a Magazine Article
Paragraph and character styles are some of the most important tools in InDesign. We will show you how to use them and the more powerful nested styles.
- Creating & Applying Paragraph Styles
- Changing Styles Once They've Have Been Created
- Creating & Applying Character Styles
- Creating a Nested Character Style
- Adding a Table in InDesign
In this exercise, you will import and place data from an Excel document and learn how to format it with InDesign's table tools.
- Creating the Table
- Placing Excel Tables
- Auto-Flowing across Multiple Pages
- Table Headers
- Formatting Tables (fills, strokes, etc.)
- Anchored Frames
Anchored graphics have the advantage of flowing around text. In this exercise we will show you how to place them and wrap text around them.
- Anchoring Frames So They Reflow with Text
- Positioning Anchored Objects
- Leaders Magazine - Master Pages & 1st Article
In this exercise, we are going to have you set up a magazine from scratch and create a multi-page article.
- Setting Up the first Master Pages
- Adding Guides
- Resizing the Text Frames
- Adding a Page Number
- Duplicating to the Opposite Master Page
- Spanning Columns
- Step & Repeat
- Paragraph and Character Styles
- Leaders Magazine - Libraries and More
In this exercise, you will add a picture and bio of the author to the end of the article.
- Creating a Library
- Adding Content to the Bio
- Using the Library to Add a Section Header
- Leaders Magazine - Searches and Spell Check
In this lesson, you will learn to use InDesign's spell check feature, and the find and change feature.
- Spell Checking
- The Lawyer Joke Book: Setting it Up
In this exercise, you will layout a long, multi-page book the easy way! You will set up a master page, add page numbers, and design a running head.
- Setting up a Master Page and adding Guides
- Automatic Page Numbers
- Automatic Text Flow
- Adding Running Heads
- The Lawyer Joke Book: Styling Text
First we will setup some text styles, then setup a baseline grid, and finally we will use some advanced Find/Change techniques to style all the jokes.
- Creating Style Sheets
- Paragraph Rules
- Setting up the Baseline Grid
- Find/Change with Paragraph Formatting
- Creating a Table of Contents
In this exercise, you will create and style a table of contents for a French wine book.
- Making the Page for the Table of Contents
- Defining & Building the Table of Contents
- Formatting the Table of Contents
- Page Numbering
- Updating the Table of Contents
- Creating a Book
In this exercise, you will join 4 documents to create a book. You will learn to link styles and update the table of contents across all the documents.
- Using Multiple Files to Create a Book
- Synchronizing Files
- Updating the Table of Contents for the Whole Book
- Autopage Numbering a Book
In this exercise, you will add auto-page numbering to your book.
- Adding Auto Page Numbering across Files
- Restaurant Menu
In this lesson, you will learn techniques to automatically clean up common typing errors and lay out repeating combinations of Character and Paragraph Styles.
- Cleaning up placed text with find/change
- Creating nested styles
- Using tab alignment
- Redefining styles
- Travel Guide
Let InDesign take care of tedious or repetitive tasks-then make it easy to re-purpose your document, or even turn it into an online publication with add interactive features.
- Facing pages
- Page numbers
- Table of content
- Live caption
- Interactive links
- Packaging and publishing online
- Conference Name Badges
Learn how individual Styles can work together, and how Smart Text Reflow automatically gives your document the correct number of pages.
- Smart text reflow
- Using next style and keep options
- Using an InDesign script to prevent text reflow
- Gallery Price Sheets
Welcome to the magic of GREP: a secret language that lets you tell InDesign to find, change and apply all kinds of formatting - including Conditions that hide and show text at your command.
- National Parks Pieces
In this lesson we introduce XML, your gateway to fully automated document generation.
- Building a layout from imported XML content
- Merge XML into tagged frames
- Creating interactive overlays for digital folio files
- Creating alternatives for vertical and horizontal tablet orientations
- Multi-chapter Booklet
Take advantage of collaborative tools such as an InDesign Book, where multiple documents - even multiple designers - come together to create a seamless workflow.
- Create a 5-color print poster
- Using gradients, graphics and image effects
- Adding and formatting text and paragraphs
- Using inline graphics to highlight text
- Creating a PDF file for the printer
Our outlines are a guide to the content covered on a typical class. We may change or alter the course topics to meet the objectives of a particular class.
230 W Monroe St
IL 60606View Map
Guaranteed to Run Limited Seats Left
Class times: 9.00am to 4.30pm
Servicing Arlington Heights, Aurora, Bollingbrook, Chicago Loop,
Deerfield, Des Plaines, Evanston, Highland Park, Joliet, Naperville,
Schaumburg, Skokie, South Chicago and surrounding areas.
915 Wilshire Blvd
CA 90017View Map
Guaranteed to Run Limited Seats Left
Class times: 9.00am to 4.30pm
Servicing Anaheim, Burbank, Covina, Downtown, Fullerton,
Irvine, Long Beach, Northridge, Pasadena, San Bernardino,
Santa Monica, Van Nuys, Ventura and surrounding areas.